My Kyla is my spunky little girl that I thought always ate pretty healthy. She'd opt for wheat germ on ice cream over nuts. One of her fav snacks is a box of shredded mini wheats.
Healthy right?
Not for someone with Celiac disease.
As you all know Kyla was recently tested for diabetes. We're very thankful tests came out negative.
So what caused jumping blood sugars? She has also been having stomache pains, diariah, and knee pains in the night. Two nights ago she had a scary fever of 104.7 that would not break, even with taking Tylenol and Ibuprophen. We were advised to take her to ER with the concern of her apendix. Many tests and 6 hrs. later,we went home luckily with apendix intact. Diagnoses: unknown.
The next morning we saw our family doc who confirmed that tests that were taken previously came back positive for being Celiac. This is a disease that will be with her for the rest of her life.
Celiac disease is a digestive diease that damages the small intestines and interferes with the absorption of nutrients from food. People who have Celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. This pretty much includes almost all bread, pasta, crackers, cookies... anything that has flour in it. We are very thankful to know what has been causing her ailments, thankful that it can be controlled with diet, and thankful it's not more seriouse!! That being said, this is a huge life change for us! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed thinking about what to feed her each day. I'm confident that as we become more knowledgable, things will get easier.



4 comments:
Things will get easier and better for her and you! I hope that now she will start to feel better:)
My nephew was diagnosed a few years ago with Ciliac. My Mom and Sister have some great recipes. If you would like any let me know. There are many options. Like Cornbread and corn tortillas. Yum! Don't be too discouraged. And low glueten is better for all of us anyway. Good luck and Call Me if you want recipes.
Celiac runs in my family. I have cousins, aunts, grandparents with it. I have even had some concerns with my own family. There are some great websites out there for advice on handling it. Did they recommend that you see a nutritionist? They can really help you because you can't just give her vitamins to help get the nutrients she needs because gluten is sometimes used as a binding agent. It's even in candy, sauces (including soy sauce) salad dressings. I've known some people with it who can't even have shampoo with gluten in it. It seems so overwhelming...but it's very doable. There are also some great reciepe books out there, too. Just google gluten free diet. You guys can handle it! Most especially because she will feel so much better =) Good luck!!
Wow--what a discovery. I'm glad you know what is going on, but also concerned for the road ahead! I have a good friend who has four kids with Celiac and I have faith you will survive!! Maybe a LOT of new recipes will be taking place at your house. We wish you the best with all of this.
Post a Comment